Wednesday 2 April 2008

The Sound of.... Rustling

I was talking about this with my mum the other day because we're both seriously annoyed with the state of cinemas right now. We haven't been in ages, partly because there's been nothing on, and partly because going there is an altogether totally unpleasant experience nowadays.

A couple of years ago, our cinema changed into a Cineworld (shudder) and suddenly the whole atmosphere of the place changed. For starters, it was infested with kids. I don't have anything against kids but unfortunately I think "Oh My God, Help Me" when some come into the same screen as me. They don't shut up, and if they're behind you then you have the ultimate irritant - a constant kicking of your chair. Luckily, I have outgrown (mostly) movies rated for a younger audience, so I'm parlty saved.

What it doesn't save me from, however, is the family viewing of a movie. You know what I mean (if you don't, you will after I explain). Well, this is where we have four or five people, two generally the parents (or parent) of the children, who might be a bit older but then there's normally a little one of about ten or eleven lingering around somehow (whoever changed the 12 rating into 12A needs to be... argh!). Getting on to the nitty-gritty, they buy way too much food. Childhood obesity? Not a problem for this bunch. Here I am sitting with a small bag of minstrels and they're loaded with nachos, litre bottles of coke and enough popcorn to bury me in. Unfortunatley, this results in what seems like hours of incessent rustling and munching. By the time everything's over, my nerves will be shredded!

Please tell me that this isn't an isolated problem? Techically I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg and I sort of want to go and see something soon. I hope the quality of my trip will be greatly improved. Overwise I might not be the same Scarlet....

7 comments:

bloggin_momma said...

unfortionately this is not an isolated problem your blog reminds me of the time i took my son to see chicken little i useually let him pick the seats he choose one row behind this little girl and her mom the whole movie she whinned she must have made her mom take her to pee 10 or 12 times not to mention the candy trips if her mom protested she just got louder and the mom actually put up with it too i felt bad for both of them i took my son back later that week because i swear we couldnt hear half the movie over her screaming

Tina said...

i went to see a pg once and i will never go again. there were some 14 year olds that were non stop talking for half the film. whats the point in going to cinema if your going to talk lol!

Next time go and see a good horror!

Tina

coolgirlsar said...

We've yet to take our four year old to the cinema partly because I know he'll want the constant bathroom trips, the sweets rustling and the kicking seats. It's a shame in a way but I know how I feel at times with others making noises although I do tend to find it isn't just kids plenty of adults do too.

Like the blog.

Sarah.

Sugarbelly said...

What I hate more Is parents bringing In small children or younger teenagers Into an obviously not for kids movie. I just started going to the movies after 9 or 10pm and you for the most part are the only one there. And waiting a week or 2 after the movie releases Is worth It to sometimes.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Borrowed home projector has solved my problem.There is a deploarble lack of decent viewing for adults where i am, this island that only has 2 cinemas,usually showing the same "family" films. Occaionally we may be blessed with an arthouse film,or something a little out of the ordinary, but it's far too few.

Anonymous said...

I can tolerate the children but not the adult commentary, especially if it is unrelated to the film.

Hillary J H said...

Hmm kids are bad. Teenagers are worse. (Not too say I'm that much better, after all I'm only 22) However, I know what you mean. It's funny how you mention a bad theater experience. I got quite irritated at a movie I saw with my friends the other night and it definitely inspired a "Theater Etiquette" blog. I think you might enjoy that one.

http://flyingakiteoutthewindow.blogspot.com/